Are Fila Brasileiro Dangerous: Get to Know Fila Brasileiro
Yes, The Fila Brasileiro, also known as the Brazilian Mastiff, is a large and powerful breed with a reputation for being aggressive and dangerous. This breed was initially bred for hunting and guarding, and they have a strong instinct to protect their family and territory. The Fila Brasileiro can be a loyal and affectionate companion with proper training, socialization, and management.
Table of Contents
History of the Fila Brasileiro
The Fila Brasileiro, also known as the Brazilian Mastiff, is a large and powerful breed of dog that originated in Brazil, according to Easy Pet MD. This breed has a rich and fascinating history spanning hundreds of years, and it has played a significant role in Brazil’s cultural and economic development.
The Fila Brasileiro is believed to have descended from the Mastiffs and Bloodhounds brought to Brazil by the Portuguese in the 16th century. These dogs were used for hunting and guarding, and they were bred to be robust and tenacious, with a strong instinct to protect their family and territory.
Over time, the Fila Brasileiro became an essential part of Brazilian culture and economy, and they were used for various tasks, including hunting, herding, and guarding. The breed was also used to track and capture escaped enslaved people, which made it highly prized by plantation owners.
Today, the Fila Brasileiro is a rare and protected breed, and the Brazilian Kennel Club recognizes it as a national treasure. While the breed remains highly valued in Brazil, it is relatively unknown outside of its native country and is considered one of the world’s most endangered breeds of dogs.
Characteristics of the Fila Brasileiro
- Size: Fila Brasileiros are large dogs, with males weighing between 110 and 140 pounds and females weighing between 90 and 110 pounds.
- Coat: Fila Brasileiros have a short and smooth coat that is easy to groom and maintain. The coat comes in various colors, including fawn, brindle, black, and blue.
Strong Prey Drive
The Fila Brasileiro is a breed known for its strong prey drive, which refers to the instinct to hunt and pursue small animals. This instinct results from the breed’s history as a hunting and herding dog, and it can be a challenge for some owners to manage, especially in urban environments.
To manage the strong prey drive of a Fila Brasileiro, it’s essential to provide early and ongoing socialization and training and regular opportunities for physical exercise and mental stimulation. In addition, regular walks, play sessions, and training exercises can help to redirect and channel the breed’s instincts positively and productively.
The Fila Brasileiro is a breed of dog known for its protective nature and ability to guard its family. This dog is inherently territorial and protective, showing these traits instinctively. However, proper socialization and training can help fila brasileiro understand when a visitor is a threat. This breed has a strong prey drive and will chase smaller animals than it. This means they are dangerous around cats, dogs, and other small animals.
The Fila Brasileiro is loyal and territorial, doing everything in its power to ensure the safety of its family. They require regular exercise as they are active and must be kept entertained. So while the Fila Brasileiro may be protective by nature, it’s up to you to ensure their safety and well-being by providing them with the proper training and socialization to ensure they remain safe and friendly members of your family.
The Fila Brasileiro is a breed known for its intelligence and trainability. This breed requires regular and experienced training to be successful, which can be challenging. They are unsuitable for novice pet parents due to their size and strength. Instead, they are best suited for those with some experience with dog breeds.
- Temperament: Fila Brasileiros are known for their loyalty and affection towards their owners, but they can be wary of strangers and protective of their family and territory. They are intelligent and obedient but can also be stubborn and require consistent training and socialization.
- Instincts: Fila Brasileiros have a strong instinct to protect their family and territory and are highly sensitive to changes in their environment. They are also natural hunters and can exhibit a strong prey drive.
- Exercise needs: Fila Brasileiros have high energy levels and require regular exercise, including daily walks and opportunities for physical activity. They need to be better suited to apartment living or sedentary lifestyles.
- Health: Fila Brasileiros are generally healthy and robust, but they can be prone to specific health issues, including hip dysplasia, bloat, and skin allergies. Regular veterinary check-ups and a balanced diet can help to maintain their health.
- Litter size: The average litter size for a Fila Brasileiro is between 4 to 6 puppies. However, litter sizes can vary depending on various factors, such as the age and health of the dam, as well as genetic factors. It’s important to note that larger litter sizes can strain the mother’s health and increase the risk of complications during whelping.
Training Fila Brasileiro
Training a Fila Brasileiro can be challenging, as this breed is known for its strong will and stubborn streak. However, with consistent and positive training methods, Fila Brasileiro can be an obedient and well-behaved companion.
Here are some tips for training a Fila Brasileiro:
- Start early: It’s essential to train a Fila Brasileiro as early as possible, ideally as a puppy. This will help to establish good habits and prevent the development of undesirable behaviors.
- Use positive reinforcement: Training techniques, such as rewarding desired behaviors with treats, praise, or other rewards, can be very effective with Fila Brasileiros. Avoid harsh punishment-based training techniques, as these can damage the trust and relationship between the owner and the dog.
- Be consistent: Consistency is key when training a Fila Brasileiro. It’s essential to use the same commands, training techniques, and rewards every time and to be consistent in the expectations and rules established for the dog.
- Focus on obedience training: Obedience training is essential for Fila Brasileiros, as it helps to establish a strong bond between the owner and the dog and to reinforce good behavior. Commands such as “sit,” “stay,” “come,” and “heel” should be taught and reinforced regularly.
- Provide mental stimulation: Besides physical exercise, it’s important to provide mental stimulation for Fila Brasileiro. This can include interactive toys, training exercises, and problem-solving challenges.
- Socialize: Socialization is an integral part of training a Fila Brasileiro, as it helps to reduce fear and anxiety and to prevent aggressive behavior. Introduce the dog to various people, animals, and environments early to help promote socialization.