Are Fila Brasileiro Good Family Dog: Pros and Cons of Owning Fila Brasileiro
Yes, Fila Brasileiros are not typically recommended as family dogs due to their strong protective instincts and tendency to be wary of strangers. Instead, they were initially bred in Brazil to track and capture runaway slaves and cattle, so they have a strong prey drive and a natural tendency to guard their owners and territory.
Table of Contents
Prós of Owning Fila Brasileiro
The Fila Brasileiro is a dog breed known for its strong and protective temperament, confirmed with the Animal Health Clinic. They are typically a loyal breed who can be trusted to guard their family and home. This dog breed requires socialization from an early age to become more discerning as they mature, and are also known for their loyalty to their family and distrust of strangers.
The Fila Brasileiro is a loyal dog devoted to its family, including children. This dog will form strong bonds with them and can be known to be docile and affectionate. Watching interactions between a Fila and children is essential, as this dog should only be trusted with family members.
Moreover, it is vital to supervise interactions between dogs and children and refrain from leaving them alone together. This dog must be treated with care, as it has a high prey drive, ensuring the file is kept in check and appropriately socialized. Overall, the Fila Brasileiro is a friendly and loving dog that can make an excellent addition to any family.
The Fila Brasileiro is easily trained but requires firm, consistent training to be successful in dog obedience. The Fila Brasileiro is a social dog that requires regular interactions with people and other dogs to be content and comfortable. They can be friendly towards some people but aggressive toward others if socialization needs to be done correctly from an early age.
This breed is surprisingly agile and fast, making them an ideal dog for athletic or active families who want a dog that can keep up with their activities outdoors.
- Intelligence: Fila Brasileiros are brilliant dogs, which makes them easier to train and quick learners.
- Energy and Stamina: Fila Brasileiros have a lot of energy and require a lot of physical exercises, making them ideal for owners looking for an active and athletic dog.
Cons of Owning Fila Brasileiro
- Aggression: Fila Brasileiros are bred to be protective and guard dogs, which can result in aggressive behavior if not properly socialized and trained. They can be aggressive towards other animals and strangers, and it’s important to supervise them around children.
- High Exercise Requirements: Fila Brasileiros are high-energy dogs requiring much physical exercise and mental stimulation. Owners must be prepared to provide plenty of exercises, including long walks, runs, and other physical activities.
- Strong Prey Drive: Fila Brasileiros have a strong prey drive, which means they may chase and attack small animals like cats and squirrels. This can make it challenging for owners with other pets or living in areas with wildlife.
- Health Concerns: Fila Brasileiros are prone to specific health issues, such as hip dysplasia, eye problems, and skin allergies. Regular veterinary check-ups and proper diet and exercise can help minimize the risk of these health problems.
- Training and Socialization: Fila Brasileiros can be difficult to train and require consistent and firm training from a young age. They also need to be socialized early on to help prevent aggressive behavior towards strangers and other animals.
- Banned in Some Countries: Fila Brasileiros are banned in some countries, including the United Kingdom, due to concerns about their aggressive behavior. Owners should be aware of the laws and regulations in their area before considering ownership.
Grooming Needs of Fila Brasileiro
- Brushing: Brushing your Fila Brasileiro once or twice a week can help remove loose hair and distribute natural oils throughout the coat. A rubber brush or a metal comb can remove tangles and mats.
- Bathing: Fila Brasileiros only need to be bathed when dirty or emitting a strong odor. Using a high-quality dog shampoo and conditioner to help keep the skin and coat healthy.
- Nail Trimming: Regular nail trims help prevent overgrown nails, which can cause discomfort and pain. Trim the nails every two weeks or as needed, careful not to cut too close too quickly, which can cause bleeding.
- Ear Cleaning: Fila Brasileiros have floppy ears prone to infections, so regular cleaning is essential. Use a soft cloth or cotton ball dampened with a gentle, non-alcoholic cleaning solution to clean the inside of the ears gently.
- Teeth Brushing: Regular brushing your Fila Brasileiro’s teeth can help prevent gum disease, tooth decay, and bad breath. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and toothpaste specifically designed for dogs.
Diet of Fila Brasileiro
- High-quality dog food: Choose a high-quality dog appropriate for your Fila Brasileiro’s age, size, and activity level. Look for a food that lists meat as the first ingredient and contains a balance of protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats.
- Portion size: The exact portion size for your Fila Brasileiro will depend on their age, size, and activity level, so be sure to follow the recommended serving sizes on the dog food package.
- Feeding schedule: Most dogs do best on two smaller meals daily rather than one large meal.
- Treats should comprise at most 10% of your Fila Brasileiro’s daily calorie intake. Choose healthy, low-fat treats that provide nutritional benefits.
- Freshwater: Always ensure your Fila Brasileiro can access clean, fresh water. Change the water daily and clean the bowl regularly.
- Supplements: If your Fila Brasileiro is not getting all the nutrients they need from their regular diet, consider giving them a vitamin and mineral supplement. Talk to your veterinarian to determine which supplements are appropriate for your dog.