Dog Ate a Ring: How Long to Pass? (Plus 8 Things You Can Do)

A tiny object such as a ring typically moves through the digestive tract within 10 to 24 hours. However, depending on several variables like size, it may take longer than the estimated time. Some swallowed foreign objects can take months to show progress if they’re too big. 

But that’s the best-case scenario and the bad news is that you won’t know how good or grim the situation is until you bring your pooch to the vet. There are several things that can happen to your dog if they’ve swallowed a ring, and that includes getting themselves torn up internally by the metal or the stone on the jewelry.

Did this unfortunate incident just happen? You’ll find this article helpful. Let’s read on.

Why Would a Dog Eat a Ring?

Your dog is born to be naturally curious. They test things through their mouths. Food or not, that item needs to be inspected, chewed on, and even get swallowed by mistake. That includes your precious engagement, wedding, or promise ring.

This is why your dog has to be monitored whenever they play or be around particular objects. Whether they’re playing with their tennis ball or their usual stuffed toy, mishaps can happen anytime. 

In fact, a dog swallowing a foreign object is not uncommon for many dog parents, especially if the dog is a Labrador Retriever who loves food. Extreme caution must be applied so you won’t end up with a massive bill from the vet or even cost you your dog’s life in the end.

You might want to check: Labrador Retriever 101: The Essential Guide

What Happens If Your Dog Swallowed a Ring?

If your dog just swallowed a ring, the chances are that they’ll show signs and symptoms of uncomfortability or even pain. But, if it’s too small and it’s not made out of harmful material, your dog will just pass it out after a few hours.

Still, this is no reason for any dog parent to compromise on their dogs’ safety. You can tell if the situation is terrible if your pooch exhibits the following:

  • Pain.
  • Nausea.
  • Lethargy.
  • Diarrhea.
  • Constipation.
  • Loss of appetite.
  • Extreme drooling.
  • Unusual behaviors.
  • Pawing of the mouth.
  • Choking or hacking symptoms.

Will a Ring Get Stuck inside Your Dog’s Body?

A swallowed ring may or may not get stuck inside your dog’s body. It’s quite a relief if the object is small, as this will only pass through the dog’s stomach. However, it remains to be a danger for your dog as tiny foreign objects pose a risk for intestinal blockage.

Truthfully, the size of the ring shouldn’t be what any dog parent should be concerned about. Small or big, your dog that happens to swallow a foreign object is facing a life-threatening situation. They have to be treated promptly before it’s too late.

Is Your Dog Prone to Zinc Poisoning after Swallowing a Ring?

Zinc is a common component of jewelry, and if your ring happens to have this type of metal, then your pooch is prone to zinc poisoning. This makes things even more complicated as the stomach acid automatically interacts from this chemical element.

If nothing is done to treat your little furry buddy, then this may lead to death. Know when things are getting serious by looking out for the following signs and symptoms as stated by the VCA:

  • Nausea. 
  • Anemia.
  • Diarrhea.
  • Weakness.
  • Pale Gums.
  • Depression.
  • Orange stool.
  • Lack of appetite. 
  • Discoloration of urine.
  • Yellowish eyes and skin.

8 Things to Do If Your Dog Swallowed a Ring

A dog swallowing your ring should turn on the alarm. The first steps you make right away are vital in ensuring that your dog will stay well eventually. The following things you can do will depend on your situation, and it’s on you to discern which step is best taken:

1. Once you’ve suspected that your pooch has swallowed a ring or any foreign item, be sure to call the vet immediately as much as you can. They’ll be able to properly induce vomiting and retrieve the object without causing injury to your dog. 

2. Never treat your dog without consulting the Pet Poison Helpline first. You might end up doing more harm than good, especially if you attempt to neutralize the chemical that’s already present in your little friend’s body.

3. To aid you further, you can also contact the ASPCA poison control. They’ll be able to give you proper steps on what to do in specific situations.

4. If your dog is choking or hacking, carefully check their mouth and find out if there is any object that obstructs their mouth. 

5. If the ring swallowed has a sharp stone on it, do not attempt to get it yourself from your dog’s mouth. Doing so might make them suffer from more cuts and injuries. Always leave it to the professional.

6. If nothing can be seen in your dog’s mouth, you can perform the Heimlich maneuver.

How to do it:

For small dog breeds: 

Let them either lay on their back or on their side. Place your hand behind the rib cage and apply some pressure by pushing down to make the air push forward and eventually out the mouth.

For large dog breeds:

Let the dog lay on the side and find the broad area of their chest. Give them a quick thrust on the spot to attempt to dislodge the object inside them. Another way is to lift them up, place your fist under the sternum, then perform a quick upward or backward thrust using the other hand. 

7. Constantly look at your dog’s mouth only if you’re confident that they won’t bite. Use tweezers as a precautionary measure in case they react badly.

8. If these attempts are not successful, call your vet.

6 Effective Tips to Keep the Choking Hazard at Bay

While it’s almost impossible to keep your dog from chewing on random objects, there are actually several things you can execute to prevent them from swallowing things, such as a ring. Have the control over their environment by following these practical tips:

1. If you ever have to leave the house, muzzle up your pooch. That way, they won’t be able to put anything in their mouth aside from when they want to drink water. 

2. Never leave your dog in an untidy area. Keep your items in place. Smaller objects that can be accidentally swallowed by your dog should be kept away.

3. Don’t leave your dog alone with heaps of toys for them to play around with. This invites unwanted accidents.

4. Remove the pit from any fruit you give to your dog.

5. Don’t leave your ring on a table that your dog can easily reach.

6. Monitor or supervise your dog while they’re gobbling down their treats or playing with their toys. In case their favorite play toy has been damaged to pieces, remove it from them right away and get it replaced with a sturdier one.

You might want to read: How to Teach Dogs Not to Destroy Toys: A Guide to Proper Behavior

Similar Posts